Monday, June 11, 2018
A rebellious beginning...
I was in a difficult spot. I had a great job, amazing family, sweet little house and a very challenging, deep, passionate relationship with a man who was in a very low place. He was far from himself and nothing i did could help him find his way back, except leave. But who I am as a person, meant a grand proclamation. Well, if you won't get better for me, I'll leave the fucking country. I realize there are many things flawed about this...one cannot heal for someone else, just themselves, and this was a rather impetuous proclamation and knowing me, I'd do it.
To distract myself from pain, I started research. I was born in Brisbane, Australia but to American parents, who assured me that on my 18th birthday, I defaulted to US citizenship. I'd always been intrigued by the idea of going back...but I had kids,surely their dad would say "oh HELL NO. Surely, I could reclaim this and leave him behind and leave Trump behind and leave all this absurdity behind. This was fall of 2016.
I talked to the kids' dad. Much to my surprise, he thought this was an amazing opportunity and a life changing adventure for them. Shit. I had to do it. I obtained certified copies of about a million documents. I filled out the application to resume citizenship. I got US passports. I researched housing, jobs, and stared online paralegal courses for Australia. I spent thousands of dollars. Then i waited. Called. Waited. 11 months later Home Affairs contacted me to tell me I have been a citizen all along. But also meant I had to reapply for my kids to get citizenship by descent. Sweet Cracker Sandwich, for real?
The year spent waiting involved me getting back together with the person I loved when I decided to give it up and stay in the States. Then parting again when he was still struggling and I still kept looking at the other country like a jealous lover. And i waited more, alone,building, healing, changing. Got the news, told my job I was leaving....and my former lover contacted me literally 1 hour after I'd surrendered, given notice to work....with some big things to say and that I wasn't sure I wanted to hear.
So. Here i am. Leaving the country in 3-6 months, with two kids to a place where I have only online friends, resuming a relationship, slowly, as two new people...and have no idea what I'm doing. I have no job come the Fall, but am not sure I'll be ready to go, if my partnership works out, he won't be ready yet, but we both agree the beginning is mine alone....I am running on the fumes of faith and the power of the Universe. I hope you'll join me on my journey. It will often be cringe-worthy(my friends who know my love life), it will often be me changing my mind, it will certainly contain grand announcements about my decisions which often change. Basically, it'll be like drinking whiskey laced with xanax, while mainlining straight caffeine.
Also....starting some online marketing endeavors soon that align with my passion to see the world, to love wildly, and to be free. Stay tuned for that and thank you for following me. Let's go.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so proud og you for following your dreams. You have always had such a zest for life that I have admired. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you.
ReplyDelete